DEFER ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Return to School Plan for Students and Families
Before Coming to School
Parents and Students MUST go over the following checklist each morning before coming to school:
For more information here is a quick Health Department Public Service Announcement
Students will make sure they have the following things on the checklist:
- Your classroom teacher will let you know if students should bring their device to school each day!
Health & Safety
- Students are required to wear masks throughout the course of the day.
- Masks must cover both mouth and nose.
- Students should bring 2-3 extra masks in the event their mask becomes wet or soiled.
- Wear a mask when on school property
- PBIS Poster: GPPSS Wearing a Mask
- Teachers will review proper hand washing procedures with students. See PBIS Poster: Wash Your Hands
- Students should use hand sanitizer when hand washing is not feasible, before/after touching any shared materials, and before entering any new space.
- Students should remain physically distanced - as close to 6 feet apart as possible.
- Student seating is physically distanced as close to 6 feet apart as possible.
- Dividers will be placed between each student when tables are utilized.
- PBIS Poster: GPPSS Physical Distancing
*NEW TIME AND PROCEDURES THIS YEAR*
*NEW THIS YEAR*
Students will not be allowed in the building until 8:25 a.m. Please do not drop your student off prior to 8:20 a.m.
Parent Drop off and
Please view the Building Map for Arrival Doors:
Safe Routes and Preferred Crossing Maps:
Students Entry - The entry bell will ring at 8:25 am. Teachers will meet their class by the door and walk students to their classrooms.
- Students will walk to the grade level door and line up in the designated area wearing masks and practicing social distancing. Students will use the markings on the ground to line up to enter the building and maintain safe social distancing.
- Teachers will meet the students at the door and walk the students to the classroom.
Parent Drop Off -
- Parents/volunteers are not allowed in school buildings.
- Families should be masked when dropping off and picking up students.
- Students should be masked when waiting to enter the building.
- Once students enter the building as directed by their teacher they should proceed directly to their classroom and use hand sanitizer when entering the room.
- Students will enter through the doors stated above.
PBIS Poster: GPPSS Arrival
Parent Drivers: Drop off and Pick up Reminders
Our first interest is always the safety of all of our Defer families and staff members and we know it is your interest as well. We appreciate your cooperation with these procedures:
- We want to encourage our students and families to cross Kercheval and the surrounding streets safely. It is important to use the crosswalks and crossing guards available.
- It is best if you set up a meeting spot for your family to meet for drop off/pick up.
- Parents can park away from the building on side streets and walk to the building to meet their children at drop off/pick up..
- There is No Parking on Kercheval in front of the building.
- There is No Parking along either side of Nottingham near Defer. Parking on the west side of Nottingham is allowed only during posted times and locations.
- Since there is no parking anywhere on the east side of Nottingham, parents can drop off students at any point along the full length of Nottingham from Vernor to Kercheval on the Defer side of the street. You do not need to wait until you get in front of the Defer gate to drop off or pick up your child.
- Please Stop, Drop and Go in the drop off lines! Have students ready to exit the car with masks and backpacks on in the dropoff lane. This will help the traffic to flow smoothly.
- No left turn onto Kercheval from Balfour, heading toward Defer.
- Please do not use the Staff Parking lot for drop off or pick up of students (before/after school only).
Student Materials in the Classroom
- Students will access lockers at entry and dismissal, as directed by the teacher to limit the number of students in the hallway at the same time.
- Students will keep all personal belongings at their work space in the classroom.
- Students should not share materials with other students.
Using Materials in the Classroom
- Pencils, Crayons, Scissors, etc.
- We will do our best to make sure students use their own supplies that are kept in their desk/backpack.
- Students will be asked to take their supplies with them daily in case they need them at home and for cleaning purposes.
- School Supply List 2020 -21
- Classroom libraries
- Students can borrow books from the classroom library.
- Students will keep the books they borrow in their desk or take them home and return them to the teacher when they are finished.
- School libraries will have a classroom check out. Media specialists will bring books to the classrooms.
The Classroom Ready Checklist includes students bringing a charged device (depending on your grade) to school every day.
Elementary students will receive information from classroom teachers regarding the need to bring devices into the classroom.
Complete this parent form if you still need to borrow a device or for at home learning or need help with MiStar Parent Portal, Schoology, or K12 Registration
Restrooms will be cleaned every four hours. For those that have restrooms in the classrooms, this means a custodian will need to come into your room during instruction to clean.
For Communal Restrooms:
We will need to teach students these procedures:
- Only 2 students are allowed in the restroom at one time.
There will be social distancing floor stickers outside of each restroom where students wait (physically distanced) for someone to leave so they can enter.
For lunch, students can:
- Bring their own lunch from home.
- Order a school lunch that is pre-packaged and delivered to the classroom.
- Students ordering a school lunch will notify their teacher when attendance is taken at the beginning of the day.
- ALL student meals are FREE while the USDA waiver is in place.
For Breakfast, students can:
- Eat their own breakfast at home.
- Pick Up breakfast on the second floor near the kitchen after they arrive at school. Teachers will direct students to the breakfast area at their pick up time.
- ALL student meals are FREE while the USDA waiver is in place.
Lunch will take place in the classroom.
- Every student should wash their hands (or sanitize when hand washing is not feasible) before and after lunch.
- We need Essential Lunch Volunteers each day. If you are able to be an Essential Lunch Volunteer for either A or B cohorts, please email Dr. Rheaume, email@example.com
- Essential Lunch Volunteers will need to complete and IChat and complete the Covid-19 Screener in the building.
Lunch will take place in the classroom for all students.
- Defer Lunch Schedule
- Lunch is 50 minutes
- Students will use hand sanitizer before and after lunch.
- Students will wipe down their desk before and after lunch using a wipe provided by the teacher.
- Students are permitted to leave the building under authorized adult supervision for lunch time.
- An authorized adult must sign the student out from the office before a student is allowed to leave the building for lunch.
- Upon the student’s return, the student will be required to come into the office before going back to class.
Meal Time PBIS Poster: Meal Time
- Each class/grade will be assigned a specific location on the playground, baseball field, blacktop and/or gym to play.
- Students will stay in their assigned location with their cohort.
- Each class/grade will have access to playground equipment (basketball, football, frisbee, soccer ball, jump ropes, hula hoops, tennis balls, sidewalk chalk). Equipment will be sprayed daily by custodial staff.
- Students are NOT allowed to bring in their own recess toys and share them with students.
- Students should wash hands and/or use hand sanitizer when returning to the classroom after recess.
- We all know brain breaks will be more important than ever this year. Teachers will coordinate mask breaks, movement breaks, and brain breaks throughout the day.
- Students are allowed to play together in grade level/team cohorts when masks are worn.
- When playing outside with their classroom cohort, students may play without a mask while respecting social distancing procedures.
To minimize contact, dismissal may take a bit longer than we are used to.
Students will exit through the same doors they entered in the morning: Entry/Exit Map
The process is outlined below:
Students will line up in their classroom and not in the hallway this year.
- Students will be picked up by their families at their designated spot outside the school building.
- Students are expected to walk home shortly after dismissal and are not allowed to play on the playground unless a grown up is present.
Families should be masked when dropping off and picking up students.
Student Pick Up and Drop Off During School Hours
After 8:30 am and Before 2:30 pm
*NEW PROCEDURES THIS YEAR*
Pick up and drop off during the school day (after 8:30 am and before 2:30 pm) will happen through the Defer Office Doors.
- If your child needs to be picked up from school early, you must pick them up in the main office. Students will come into the office to sign in and then head to their classroom.
- If you would prefer to stay outside the office door, we will have a QR code available near the office door. We need to verify adults picking up students in the office. Please call the office, 313-432-4000 if you need more information about pick up during the school day.
In the event that your student begins to feel ill at school
- Office staff will call you and ask you to pick up your student as soon as possible.
- Students cannot be sent back to class.
- Students must be symptom free (without medication) for 24 hours before returning to school. To ensure the safety of staff and students, no exceptions will be made.
- If student is exposed to Covid-19 or has a positive Covid-19 test GPPSS will follow these Wayne County COVID-19 Case Scenarios and Action Steps