Kerby Elementary school
Return to School Plan for Students and Families
Before Coming to School
Parents and Students MUST go over the following checklist each morning before coming to school:
- For more information here is a quick Health Department Public Service Announcement
Students will make sure they have the following things on the checklist:
Health & Safety
- Students are required to wear masks throughout the course of the day.
- Masks must cover both mouth and nose.
- Students should bring 2-3 extra masks in the event their mask becomes wet or soiled.
- Wear a mask when on school property
- PBIS Poster: GPPSS Wearing a Mask
- Teachers will review proper hand washing procedures with students. See PBIS Poster: Wash Your Hands
- Students should use hand sanitizer when hand washing is not feasible, before/after touching any shared materials, and before entering any new space.
- Students should remain physically distanced - as close to 6 feet apart as possible.
- Student seating is physically distanced as close to 6 feet apart as possible.
- Dividers will be placed between each student when tables are utilized.
- PBIS Poster: GPPSS Physical Distancing
Riding the Bus
For students riding the bus, the following health and safety measures have been put in place:
- Maintain social distancing at the bus stop and on the bus.
- Use of hand sanitizer. Hand sanitizer will be supplied on the bus.
- The bus driver, staff, and all students must wear masks while on the bus.
- Transportation staff will clean and disinfect transportation vehicles before and after every transit route.
- Transportation staff will clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces in the vehicle prior to morning routes and prior to afternoon routes.
- Transportation staff will clean, sanitize, and disinfect equipment that is stored on the bus, including items such as car seats, wheelchairs, walkers, and adaptive equipment being transported to schools daily.
- Weather permitting, vehicles will be aired out before, during, and after routes.
NOTE: If a student becomes sick during the day, parents/guardians will be contacted to pick up your child, as school provided transportation will not be available.
Riding the Bus PBIS Poster: GPPSS Riding the Bus
NEW THIS YEAR*
Students will not be allowed in the building until 8:25 AM Please do not drop your student off prior to 8:20 AM.
If you are driving to school, we first ask that you abide by the local posted ordinances. They are in place for the safety of everyone.
- Parking along Beaupre is reserved for a kindergarten families.
- The cutout in front of Kerby is for a quick drop off and pick up. It was not designed for a place for parents to park.
- Safety is more important than convenience.
- Kindergarten and 2nd grade students will line up outside the lower wing (kindergarten ) doors
- 1st grade students will line up outside the Kerby front doors.
- 3rd and 4th grade students will line up outside the upper wing doors
- There will markings on the ground to identify where students should line up.
Parent Drop Off -
- Parents/volunteers are not allowed in school buildings.
- Families should be masked when dropping off and picking up students.
- Students should be masked when waiting to enter the building.
- Students should proceed directly to their classroom and use hand sanitizer when entering the room.
- Students will enter through the doors stated above.
PBIS Poster: GPPSS Arrival
Student Materials in the Classroom
- Students will access lockers at entry and dismissal only. Backpacks and lunches will be kept in lockers.
- Students will keep all their materials at their work space in the classroom.
- Students should not share materials with other students.
Using Materials in the Classroom
- Pencils, Crayons, Scissors, etc.
- We will do our best to make sure students use their own supplies that are kept in their desk/backpack.
- Students will be asked periodically to take their supplies with them in case they need them at home and for cleaning purposes.
- Classroom libraries
- Students can borrow books from the classroom library.
- Students will keep the books they borrow in their desk or take them home and return them to the teacher when they are finished.
- School libraries will have a classroom check out. Media specialists will bring books to the classrooms.
Elementary students will receive information from classroom teachers regarding the need to bring devices into the classroom.
Complete this parent form if you still need to borrow a device or for at home learning or need help with MiStar Parent Portal, Schoology, or K12 Registration
Restrooms will be cleaned every four hours. For those that have restrooms in the classrooms, this means a custodian will need to come into your room during instruction to clean.
For Communal Restrooms:
We will need to teach students these procedures:
- Only 2 students are allowed in the restroom at one time.
There will be social distancing floor stickers outside of each restroom where students wait (physically distanced) for someone to leave so they can enter.
- There will be a card outside the bathroom to flip to red when you enter the bathroom and back to green when you are finished.
For lunch, students can:
- Bring their own lunch from home.
- Order a school lunch that is pre-packaged and delivered to the classroom.
- Students ordering a school lunch will notify their teacher when attendance is taken at the beginning of the day.
- ALL student meals are FREE while the USDA waiver is in place.
Lunch will take place in the classroom.
- Every student should wash their hands or use hand sanitizer when hand washing is not feasible before and after lunch.
- K lunch delivery begins at 11:00 AM
- 1st & 2nd lunch delivery begins at 11:24 AM
- 3rd lunch delivery begins at 11:53 AM
- 4th lunch delivery begins at 12:17 PM
- Students are permitted to leave the building under authorized adult supervision for lunch time.
- An authorized adult must sign the student out from the office before a student is allowed to leave the building for lunch.
- Upon the student’s return, the student will be required to come into the office before going back to class.
Meal Time PBIS Poster: Meal Time
- Each class/team/grade will be assigned a specific location on the playground, baseball field, blacktop and/or gym to play.
- Students will stay in their assigned location with their classroom cohort.
- Each class/team/grade will have access to playground equipment (basketball, football, frisbee, soccer ball, jump ropes, hula hoops, tennis balls, sidewalk chalk). Equipment will be sprayed daily by custodial staff.
- Students are NOT allowed to bring in their own recess toys and share them with students.
- Students should wash hands and/or use hand sanitizer when returning to the classroom after recess.
- We all know brain breaks will be more important than ever this year. Teachers will coordinate mask breaks, movement breaks, and brain breaks throughout the day.
- Students are allowed to play together in grade level/team cohorts when masks are worn.
- When playing outside with their classroom cohort, students may play without a mask while respecting social distancing procedures.
To minimize contact, dismissal may take a bit longer than we are used to.
Students will exit through the same doors they entered (see arrival).
- Students will be picked up by their families at the designated spot outside the school building.
- Students are expected to walk home shortly after dismissal and are not allowed to play on the playground unless a grown up is present.
Families should be masked when dropping off and picking up students.
Student Pick Up and Drop Off During School Hours
*NEW PROCEDURES THIS YEAR*
Pick up and drop off during the school day will happen through the front door of Kerby.
- If your child needs to be picked up from school early, you must pick them up in the main office.
- Access to Kerby will only be granted through the front door
- Students who come to school after the official start will check in at the office to sign in and then head to their classroom.
In the event that your student begins to feel ill at school
- Office staff will call you and ask you to pick up your student as soon as possible.
- Students cannot be sent back to class.
- Students must be symptom free (without medication) for 24 hours before returning to school. To ensure the safety of staff and students, no exceptions will be made.
- If student is exposed to Covid-19 or has a positive Covid-19 test GPPSS will follow these Wayne County COVID-19 Case Scenarios and Action Steps