Monteith Elementary School
Return to School Plan for Students and Families
Entry Bell Rings: 8:25am
Instruction starts at 8:30am
School Ends: 2:30pm
10/12 the return of Y5- 2nd Grade ( Cohort A has school Wednesday)
10/19 The return of 3rd- 4th Grade ( Cohort B has school Wednesday)
Cohort A ( Mondays and Thursdays)
Cohort B ( Tuesdays and Fridays)
(before & after school care)
Before Coming to School
Parents and Students MUST go over the following checklist each morning before coming to school:
- For more information here is a quick Health Department Public Service Announcement
Students will make sure they have the following things on the checklist:
Health & Safety
- Students are required to wear masks throughout the course of the day.
- Masks must cover both mouth and nose.
- Students should bring 2-3 extra masks in the event their mask becomes wet or soiled.
- Wear a mask when on school property.
- PBIS Poster: GPPSS Wearing a Mask
- Teachers will review proper hand washing procedures with students. See PBIS Poster: Wash Your Hands
- Wash Your Hands Song
- Students should use hand sanitizer when hand washing is not feasible, before/after touching any shared materials, and before entering any new space. Hand Sanitizer will be available in every classroom.
- Students should remain physically distanced - as close to 6 feet apart as possible.
- Student seating is physically distanced as close to 6 feet apart as possible.
- Dividers will be placed between each student when tables are utilized.
- PBIS Poster: GPPSS Physical Distancing
*NEW TIME AND PROCEDURES THIS YEAR*
Parent Drop off and Pick up will be Organized by grade level doors.
*NEW THIS YEAR*
Students will not be allowed in the building until 8:25am Please do not drop your student off prior to 8:15 a.m.
*There will be no Indoor line up in the morning if it rains.*
Students Entry - The entry bell will ring at 8:25 am Rain or Shine there is no longer indoor line up in the mornings. Teachers will meet their class by the door and walk students to their classrooms.
- Students will walk to the grade level door and line up in the designated area wearing masks and practicing social distancing. Students will use the markings on the ground to line up to enter the building and maintain safe social distancing.
- Teachers will meet the students at the door and walk the students to the classroom.
Parent Drop Off -
- Parents/volunteers are not allowed in school buildings.
- Families should be masked when dropping off and picking up students.
- Students should be masked when waiting to enter the building.
- Students should proceed directly to their classroom and use hand sanitizer when entering the room.
- Students will enter through the grade level doors in the map
PBIS Poster: GPPSS Arrival
Parent Drivers: Drop off and Pick up Reminders
Our first interest is always the safety of all of our Monteith families and staff members and we know it is your interest as well. We appreciate your cooperation with these procedures.
- We want to encourage our students and families to cross Cook and Chalfonte and the surrounding streets safely. It is important to use the crosswalks and crossing guards available.
- It is best if you set up a meeting spot for your family. Parents can park in the park lot in spots. DO NOT park in the Outer Circle of Parking lot, that is only for a QUICK DROP OFF and PICK UP
- There is No Parking on Cook Road in front of the building. You may DROP OFF and PICK UP, DO NOT GET OUT OF YOUR CAR or GPW Police will issue you a ticket.
- Bottom line---Please Stop, Drop and Go! This will help the traffic to flow smoothly.
Student Materials in the Classroom
- Students will access lockers at entry and dismissal, as directed by the teacher to limit the number of students in the hallway at the same time.
- Students will keep all personal belongings (backpack, lunchbox, coats, etc.) in their lockers. Classroom supplies they will keep at their individual work space in the classroom.
- Students should not share materials with other students.
- Each student will have their own divider for their learning space. The divider stays at school and we will write students' names on the divider.
Using Materials in the Classroom
- Pencils, Crayons, Scissors, etc.
- We will do our best to make sure students use their own supplies that are kept in their desk/backpack.
- Students will be asked to take their supplies with them daily in case they need them at home and for cleaning purposes.
- Classroom libraries
- Students can borrow books from the classroom library.
- Students will keep the books they borrow in their desk or take them home and return them to the teacher when they are finished.
- School libraries will have a classroom check out. Media specialists will bring books to the classrooms.
Elementary students will receive information from classroom teachers regarding the need to bring devices into the classroom.
The Classroom Ready Checklist includes students bringing a charged device (depending on your grade) to school every day.
Secondary students should bring a device each day.
Complete this parent form if you still need to borrow a device or for at home learning or need help with MiStar Parent Portal, Schoology, or K12 Registration
Restrooms will be cleaned every four hours. For teachers that have restrooms in the classrooms, this means a custodian will need to come into these classrooms during instruction to clean.
For Communal Restrooms:
We will need to teach students these procedures:
- Only 2 students are allowed in the restroom at one time.
There will be social distancing floor stickers outside of each restroom where students wait (physically distanced) for someone to leave so they can enter.
For lunch, students can:
- Bring their own lunch from home.
- Order a school lunch that is pre-packaged and delivered to the classroom.
- Students ordering a school lunch will notify their teacher when attendance is taken at the beginning of the day.
- ALL student meals are FREE while the USDA waiver is in place.
For Breakfast, students can:
- Eat their own breakfast at home.
- Pick Up breakfast outside the gym near the kitchen after they arrive at school. The student should let the teacher know they are grabbing Breakfast on the way to class.
- ALL student meals are FREE while the USDA waiver is in place.
Lunch will take place in the classroom.
- Every student should wash their hands (or sanitize when hand washing is not feasible) before and after lunch.
Lunch will take place in the classroom for all students.
- Monteith Lunch and Recess Schedule
- Students will use hand sanitizer before and after lunch.
- Students will wipe down their desk before and after lunch using a wipe provided by the teacher.
- Students are permitted to leave the building under authorized adult supervision for lunch time.
- An authorized adult must call the office and give consent for their child to leave the building for lunch. The authorized adult will meet their child at the secure entrance to pick them up.
- Upon the student’s return, the student will be required to enter through the secure entrance and check in with the office before going back to class.
Meal Time PBIS Poster: Meal Time
- Each class/team/grade will be assigned a specific location on the playground, baseball field, blacktop and/or gym to play.
- Students will stay in their assigned location with their classroom cohort.
- Each class/team/grade will have access to playground equipment (basketball, football, frisbee, soccer ball, jump ropes, hula hoops, tennis balls, sidewalk chalk). Equipment will be sprayed daily by custodial staff.
- Students are NOT allowed to bring in their own recess toys and share them with students.
- Students should wash hands and/or use hand sanitizer when returning to the classroom after recess.
- We all know brain breaks will be more important than ever this year. Teachers will coordinate mask breaks, movement breaks, and brain breaks throughout the day.
- Students are allowed to play together in grade level/team cohorts when masks are worn.
- When playing outside with their classroom cohort, students may play without a mask while respecting social distancing procedures.
To minimize contact, dismissal may take a bit longer than we are used to.
Students will exit through the same doors they entered (see arrival).
The process is outlined below:
Students will line up in their classroom and not in the hallway this year.
- Students will be picked up by their families at their designated spot outside the school building.
- Students are expected to walk home shortly after dismissal and are not allowed to play on the playground unless a grown up is present.
- Students will be dismissed when buses arrive. All students will stay in their classrooms until their bus letter is called.
Families should be masked when dropping off and picking up students.
Student Pick Up and Drop Off During School Hours
*NEW PROCEDURES THIS YEAR*
Pick up and drop off during the School Day (After 8:30 am and before 2:30pm) will happen through the secure entrance by the Monteith Office Doors.
- If your child needs to be picked up from school early, you must pick them up in the main office through the Secure Entrance Door #1.
- If your child needs to be dropped off after 8:30 am, she/he will enter the building through the Secure Entrance Door #1 and come into the office to sign in and then head to their classroom. Please do not accompany your child into the building
- If a student has forgotten an item and you need to drop it off you will be able to come into the first door at the secure entrance door #1 and place the item on the table. It must have the student's name and Classroom teacher's name on the item.
In the event that your student begins to feel ill at school
- Office staff will call you and ask you or your designated emergency contact to pick up your student immediately.
- Students cannot be sent back to class.
- Students must be symptom free (without medication) for 24 hours before returning to school. To ensure the safety of staff and students, no exceptions will be made.
- If student is exposed to Covid-19 or has a positive Covid-19 test GPPSS will follow these Wayne County COVID-19 Case Scenarios and Action Steps