Ferry Elementary School
Return to School Plan for Students and Families
Before Coming to School
Parents and Students MUST go over the following checklist each morning before coming to school:
- For more information here is a quick Health Department Public Service Announcement
Students will make sure they have the following things on the checklist:
Health & Safety
- Students are required to wear masks throughout the course of the day.
- Masks must cover both mouth and nose.
- Students should bring 2-3 extra masks in the event their mask becomes wet or soiled.
- Lanyards will be provided to students
- Wear a mask when on school property
- PBIS Poster: GPPSS Wearing a Mask
- Teachers will review proper hand washing procedures with students. See PBIS Poster: Wash Your Hands
- Students should use hand sanitizer when hand washing is not feasible, before/after touching any shared materials, and before entering any new space.
- Students should remain physically distanced - as close to 6 feet apart as possible.
- Student seating is physically distanced as close to 6 feet apart as possible.
- Dividers will be placed between each student when tables are utilized.
- PBIS Poster: GPPSS Physical Distancing
Arrival and Dismissal
*NEW THIS YEAR*
*NEW THIS YEAR*
Students will not be allowed in the building until 8:25 a.m. Please do not drop your student off prior to 8:20 a.m.
If you are driving to school, I'm asking that only 2nd grade, 3rd grade and special education use the parking lot for drop off. I'd like the other students to be dropped off on Roslyn to be closest to their classroom entry. Realizing families have multiple students, you’ll choose the drop off that works best for your family.
Arrival and Dismissal location
Young 5's and grade 1 - door #2 - front doors
Kindergarten - door #3 - Kindergarten doors off Roslyn
Grade 2 will line up against the wall at their classroom doors
Grade 3 - door #1 -bike rack doors
Grade 4 and Magnet - door #4 - Diversity Den doors off the black top
- Parents/volunteers are not allowed in school buildings.
- Families should be masked when dropping off and picking up students.
- Students should be masked when waiting to enter the building.
- Students should proceed directly to their classroom and use hand sanitizer when entering the building.
- Students will enter through the doors stated above.
PBIS Poster: GPPSS Arrival
Student Materials in the Classroom
- Students will access lockers at entry and dismissal only.
- Students will keep all personal belongings at their work space in the classroom (backpack, lunchbox, etc.).
- Students should not share materials with other students.
- Students will be asked to take their supplies home with them periodically for cleaning purposes.
- Classroom libraries
- Students can borrow books from the classroom library.
- Students will keep the books they borrow in their desk or take them home and return them to the teacher when they are finished.
- School libraries will have a classroom check out. Media specialists will bring books to the classrooms.
Elementary students will receive information from classroom teachers regarding the need to bring devices into the classroom.
Complete this parent form if you still need to borrow a device or for at home learning or need help with MiStar Parent Portal, Schoology, or K12 Registration
Restrooms will be cleaned every four hours. For those that have restrooms in the classrooms, this means a custodian will need to come into your room during instruction to clean.
For Communal Restrooms:
We will teach students these procedures:
- Only 2 students are allowed in the restroom at one time.
There will be social distancing floor stickers outside of each restroom where students wait (physically distanced) for someone to leave so they can enter.
For lunch, students can:
- Bring their own lunch from home.
- Order a school lunch that is pre-packaged and delivered to the classroom.
- Students ordering a school lunch will notify their teacher when attendance is taken at the beginning of the day.
- ALL student meals are FREE while the USDA waiver is in place.
Lunch will take place in the classroom.
- Every student should wash their hands before and after lunch.
- Students will wipe down their desk before and after lunch using a wipe provided by the teacher.
- Students are permitted to leave the building under authorized adult supervision for lunch time.
- An authorized adult must sign the student out from the front of the building using a QR Code before a student is allowed to leave the building for lunch. Adults will need to download a QR Reader app. If you do not have access to this technology, we will have a sign out in our secured vestibule.
- Upon the student’s return, the student will be required to come through the secured entrance before going back to class.
Meal Time PBIS Poster: Meal Time
- Each class/team/grade will be assigned a specific location on the playground, soccer field, blacktop, playscape and gaga ball area.
- Students will stay in their assigned location with their classroom cohort.
- Each class/team/grade will have access to playground equipment (basketball, football, frisbee, soccer ball, jump ropes, hula hoops, tennis balls, sidewalk chalk). Equipment will be sprayed daily by custodial staff.
- Students are NOT allowed to bring in their own recess toys and share them with students.
- Students should wash hands and/or use hand sanitizer when returning to the classroom after recess.
- We all know brain breaks will be more important than ever this year. Teachers will coordinate mask breaks, movement breaks, and brain breaks throughout the day.
- When playing outside with their classroom cohort, students may play without a mask while respecting social distancing procedures.
*NEW THIS YEAR*
Students will be dismissed at 2:30
To minimize contact, dismissal may take a bit longer than we are used to.
Students will exit through the same doors they entered (see arrival).
- Students can be picked up by their families at their designated door outside the school building. You will be able to park along Roslyn this year. Students may also meet you at your car or simply walk/bike home.
- Students are expected to walk home shortly after dismissal and are not allowed to play on the playground unless a grown up is present.
Families should be masked when dropping off and picking up students.
As we navigate a new drop off and pick up, please know procedures may be adjusted to best meet the needs of our students safety.
Student Pick Up and Drop Off During School Hours
*NEW PROCEDURES THIS YEAR*
Pick up and drop off DURING the school day will happen through the front door. You’ll come to the front of the school and use the QR code provided there to sign your child out and in digitally. You’ll need to download a QR Reader app. QR Reader Video
- If your child needs to be picked up from school early, you must pick them up from the front doors.. If a student comes in late, sign them in and students will head to their classroom.
In the event that your student begins to feel ill at school
- Office staff will call you and ask you to pick up your student as soon as possible.
- Students cannot be sent back to class.
- Students must be symptom free (without medication) for 24 hours before returning to school. To ensure the safety of staff and students, no exceptions will be made.
- If student is exposed to Covid-19 or has a positive Covid-19 test GPPSS will follow these Wayne County COVID-19 Case Scenarios and Action Steps