(see Mental Health and Other Resources for Parents and Students for additional resource support)
Meet with your teacher. Student Support over zoom is available every afternoon except Wednesday. Even if you don't have questions just log into their zoom room and hang out while you do your homework. The teacher will pop in occasionally in case you have questions.
Study Strategies - Tips for Students and Parents Google Slide Deck
Free Online Tutoring:
- Brainfuse is a live tutor online service available through the GP Public Library. You'll need your library card. Click here to access
- More great free resources from the GP Public Library CLICK HERE
- Free live online tutor K-12 from GVSU Click Here
Free Virtual Tutoring through Oakland University
Register at this site or call 248-600- 9541 M- F 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Please select the organization to which you are the MOST connected.
If you are not connected with any organization on this list, please select COVID Response Network.
- Resources to Help Parents Support Students' Academic Success
Organizing Time and Academic Demands
- HOW TO ORGANIZE USING THE SCHOOLOGY CALENDAR FUNCTION video
- Schoology WORKFLOW AND ORGANIZATION video
- PEN AND PAPER REMOTE LEARNING LOG Document
- Remote Learning Schedule template
- Remote Learning Schedule Parent and Student Document
Coping during COVID
Helping Students Successfully Navigate the School Year, Academically and Beyond (The Family Center of GP & HW) Join us for a fireside chat focused on helping families successfully navigate the school year. Working with your child’s unique learning style, and your family’s inherent strengths, local therapists Anne Moigis, LPC, and Mary Beth Garvey, LMSW, explore ways to foster resilience and develop healthy routines and coping skills.
- Practical Tips for Managing the Lasting Stress and Emotional Toll of 2020 (Henry Ford Health System - SandCastles Grief Support)
- Understanding the Effects of the Pandemic On Kids (The Family Center video) Watch to learn about the most common mental and physical health issues we are seeing in our practices during the pandemic and learn practical tips on how to deal with the effects of these stressors. Ashton Taylor, LMSW and Dr. Ashley Falco Senior staff physician for Henry Ford Health System and lead pediatrician at Pierson Pediatrics.
Wellness Wednesday - posted on Schoology class pages weekly
If you want to check on: Attendance, Transcript Grades, Cafeteria Account Balance, Student Schedules, counselor, teacher email addresses, emergency contact information you need to log in to MiStar Parent Portal. MiStar Login Help Here is helpful login instructionsParents are strongly encouraged to check their student's grades regularly using Schoology. With this feature, parents can see the teachers' grade books to check the specifics of their child's grade. Some questions to consider:
- 9/23 WELLNESS WEDNESDAY ON GRIEF
- 9/30 WELLNESS WEDNESDAY ON SLEEP
- 10/7 WELLNESS WEDNESDAY ON ANXIETY
- 10/14 WELLNESS WEDNESDAY ON STRESS
- 10/21 Wellness Wednesday - POSITIVITY AND NEGATIVITY
- 10/28 Wellness Wednesday - Substance Abuse (RED RIBBON WEEK)
- 10/30 Wellness Wednesday - Friday Bonus - Addiction
- 11/4 Wellness Wednesday - Anger
- 11/11 Remote School and Mental Health
- 11/18 Safety Languages
- 12/2 Feeling Overwhelmed
- 12/11 Anxiety 2.0
- 12/16 Acknowledging Feelings
If a student is having trouble in classes or earning low grades there are several options to consider:
Is the student completing all of his/her homework? if the grade is 0 or "Z" then direct communication with the teacher would be a good idea. All teachers are available via email or voicemail
Look for trends. What is the homework grade compared to the in-class assignments or test grades? The more you can pinpoint the issue the better able to address the problem and fix it.
Connect with the teacher. All teachers regularly check their email and voice mail.
National Honor Society Tutoring AND Spanish National Honor Society Tutoring:Suspended due to COVIDStudent TutorsLists available from counselors upon requestAdult TutorsThe school district maintains a list of local adult tutors who have successfully completed a criminal background check. Call the counseling center (432-3519) or email your counselor and we will be happy to send this list to you.Online Tutoring
Does the student have a tutorial hour that can be focused on the topic where there is trouble? For example, we have special Math tutorials available where the student can ask questions to a math teacher to support their class. See the counselor for more information on this.
Has the student checked with the teacher to get help? Many teachers offer help before or after school. There is never any charge for this.
Has the student sought out free tutoring through NHS after-school or the Spanish Honor Society before or after school?
There is a FREE homework help site available from GPPL. It connects kids to an online tutoring service called Brainfuse All the student needs is a library card to log on. It is available from 2:00 pm - 11:00 pm each day.