Parcells Choirs 2017-2018
Email (preferred)– SaroliL@gpschools.org
Voicemail – (313)432-5490
My goal is that students learn to sing. It’s that simple. We are here to learn to sing as an ensemble, which includes learning all the fundamentals needed to create beautiful tone, expressive lines, gorgeous musicality, strong music reading skills, and a commitment to the experience . Key skills will be developed and reinforced; such as independent reading/counting/thinking skills, and listening/tuning/blending with the entire ensemble. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts!
Expectations of Students
Students in a choir class are members of a large group. Each person has a responsibility to themselves,
as well as to the whole group. Students in the choir are asked to participate as follows:
- Cooperate in rehearsal with appropriate behavior and a positive attitude
- Be prepared for class with pencil, music, and binder
- Attend class regularly and attend scheduled performances outside of the school day
- Be prepared with assignments and tests
- Show improvement in singing skills
Students’ behavior during rehearsal is the single most important factor for the development of their individual skills, as well as the development of an excellent performing group. Choir classes are typically large groups and each student’s cooperation and respect is needed.
Rehearsal and Concert Attendance 25%--Performance is the culmination of practice and rehearsals. It is an essential element to a complete musical education. Therefore, concert attendance is a required part of all vocal music courses at Parcells. A calendar of required activities is included so that conflicts can be resolved well in advance.
- Excused absences are as follows:
- Illness of student or family member
- Absences which have been discussed by parent and teacher and agreed upon in advance
- Absences of an emergency nature
- Unexcused absences will result in a lowered grade.
Written work 25%--Class work will be given frequently; anything not finished during class time will be given as homework.
Quizzes 25%--Written quizzes over the covered material will be given at the end of a unit of study. Periodically, singing quizzes may be given to demonstrate student growth and understanding of concepts.
Class Participation 25%--This is the contribution you make to the success of the group (which includes attitude and behavior). Choir is a “performance”-based class. There is NO WAY to learn to sing “choral music” by yourself. It would be the same as learning to play football alone in the yard. Participation points will be given when a student shows the following:
· Being on time and prepared for class.
· Being an enthusiastic and contributing member of the ensemble.
· Demonstrating proper vocal technique as learned in class
· Talking only when it is appropriate and helpful.
· A willingness to cooperate in every way his/her talent permits.
Extra Credit Opportunities—Students will have a number of chances to earn extra credit throughout the school year. One way students may earn extra credit each quarter is by attending concerts as an audience member (suggested concerts are those occurring within the Grosse Pointe schools, Detroit Symphony Orchestra, etc.) Students can receive extra credit through concert attendance once per quarter by submitting a program (if available) and a written paragraph describing the performance.