Young Fives Program
The Young Fives program offers an alternative for children whose parents feel that they are not yet ready for a traditional kindergarten experience. The program is FREE for younger five-year-old children who live in the Grosse Pointe Public School System attendance area. Eligibility is determined by birth date -- children must turn five between March 1 and December 1, 2021. The natural progression from the Young Fives program would be to Kindergarten.
Young Fives will be offered at All GPPSS Elementary School Buildings depending upon enrollment, during the 2021-22 school year. If enrollment numbers do not allow for a Young Five class at your home school, then the District reserves the right to add, combine, or cancel any Young Fives location based on interest and space availability. If your home school does not offer Young Fives, you will be provided an opportunity to attend at a nearby school.
What are the steps to enroll into the Young Fives program?
All interested must complete the following steps:
- Submit the YOUNG FIVES LOTTERY PREFERENCE FORM (form will be available on January 8, 2021)
- This form is required in the event that enrollment numbers indicate the need to combine any Young Fives classrooms due to low enrollment.
- This form is also required in the event that interest exceeds 24 students from a neighborhood school. If that happens, all students from that school will be placed based on lottery results for their neighborhood school first. Once the classroom is filled then students will be placed based on lottery preference indicated on the Young Fives Lottery Form.
- Students who complete the Young Fives program in a building other than their home school due to the combining of programs would be expected to return to their home school the following year.
- Complete GPPSS PRE ENROLLMENT.
- ESTABLISH RESIDENCY at the Administration Building, 389 St. Clair, Grosse Pointe.
Visit HTTPS://CALENDLY.COM/GPVERIFY to schedule an appointment
Bring ALL documentation in person at your appointment to the Enrollment Office 389 St. Clair, Grosse Pointe, MI 48230
- Appointments are 15 minutes per child
If all three steps above are completed by April 9, 2020, you will be guaranteed a spot in the Young Fives program. If enrollment numbers indicate combining or canceling of the Young Fives Program within a particular building then a lottery will take place on April 13, 2021, and placement will be based on the Young Fives Lottery Preference Form. Parents will be notified of the lottery results and student placement via email and phone by April 14, 2020. Parents must respond by April 16, 2021, to confirm placement.
This year all GPPSS Info Nights will be virtual. Each neighborhood school will be hosting their own Info Night on January 7, 2021. Links will be posted here as they become available. After the live event at 6:30 p.m., the video will be posted for viewing at your convenience.
Thank you for your interest in Young Fives. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.
Director of PreK-Elementary Instruction